Article Quick Links
The Increment a Value action is simply a counter. When the block is triggered, the incremented value is increased by 1. The incremented value starts at null (or 0), and can be captured as a variable. This action is useful for tracking the number of times an Answer was surfaced in a conversation.
You can set a threshold value to compare the incremented value against. If the threshold value is reached, then a specific action is performed.
Example: If a chatter sees the Not Understood Answer multiple times in a conversation, it’s likely they’re asking something to which the bot doesn’t yet have an answer. Use the Increment a Value utility to track how often the chatter sees the Not Understood Answer. If a predetermined number of times is met, offer the chatter the opportunity to connect with a live agent.
Configure the Increment a Value action
- Click the Select Action drop-down menu and select Increment a Value.
- Click the Select Optional Inputs drop-down and select an optional input field to add, as needed.
Use this field to define a starting value to increment.
- Can be a static integer or a dynamic integer from a variable.
- If this input is left empty or omitted, the starting value defaults to 0.
Use this field to define a threshold value at which the chatter is redirected to the Fallback Answer.
- Incremented values equal to or greater than ( = or > ) the threshold value redirect to the Fallback Answer.
- Use only integers.
- [Optional] Click the Save Response as Variables drop-down and select Incremented Value if you wish to save the incremented value as a variable.
- [Optional] Choose an existing variable or create a new variable to capture the incremented value.
- Click the Fallback Answer drop-down menu and select an Answer to display if an error occurs during the block’s operation.
Note: If the Threshold input is used, then the Fallback Answer also acts as the Answer the chatter is redirected to once the threshold value is met.
- Click Save.
The Increment a Value action is now ready for use.
More Answer Utilities
For any additional questions, contact your ACX Consultant, Account Manager, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.